My own design efforts didn't thrill me, so I moved from paper to Google Sketchup to try and model it. My transition from Lightwave to Sketchup is far from complete, so I ended up finding a child size Rocking Horse model in the Sketchup public domain library to work with.
Following a tutorial for using Sketchup to prepare CAM tool paths for Mach3, I took the component geometry for the horse, cleaned it up by closing gaps and removing extra points and lines, and then sank each part into a virtual sheet of 3/4" plywood. I then deleted the exposed geometry, leaving the outline of each piece on the surface of my sheet of plywood. From there, I took a screenshot, saved it as a jpg and then imported it into Excel so that I could control the scale and page setup to print the image at 1/3rd scale on six sheets of 8-1/2 x 11 paper. I then used entirely too much glue to secure the trimmed sheets to 1/4" aspen plywood, which is the proper thickness for my 1/3 scale model.
After cutting everything out with the jigsaw and scraping and sanding the paper off, I was able to glue and nail it together. The final result, I will admit, is rough if not illustrative.
|"I wanna get back - back to the rocking horse..."|