Taking some time to read the instructions proved valuable as I found this amazing stuff:
|For when Duck Tape just won't cut it.|
Loctite™ PL Premium Construction Adhesive. Made for metal and non-porous surfaces. Forgetting to wear my respirator may be why I had a sore throat this morning (or I caught the bug the kids are passing around) but this stuff really did stink going on and had I read the instructions a bit more, I would have discovered that, yes, a respirator is recommended. Ah well. I as yet live. More importantly, the sheet metal table top is FIRMLY secured and flat as a 'possum that's been laying in the road for a good week or two.
In preparation for using the correct adhesive, I did scrape and sand away the wrong adhesive before applying. Hopefully this will hold the table top down for the life of the table. If not, I am prepared to drill, counter-sink and screw it down but for aesthetic reasons (eye roll) I didn't want to do that if I don't have to. I also didn't like the idea of screw heads, recessed or not, gathering gunk and looking dirty. I'm not a clean freak, but some things I do get OCD about.
Here's a few more shots of the table. I will probably stain it but don't plan to post any more pictures except as incidental when discussing future projects that will probably be built upon this table. It has certainly been a worth-while and fun project. It's very motivating, too, as I now know I have a place to work on things where previously it always meant clearing off the garage floor or setting up a rickety saw-horse table.
|Reclaimed Materials - Evidence of Age and Use = Beauty|
|Showcase Shot at Sunset|
|Center of the Table|